Register of Monks
Meta says that when it completes its recently announced final addition to its Altoona data center complex, Facebook’s facility will be the largest in the world, covering 5 million square feet.
What size is this? Here are some comparisons. His:
- 70% as large as Switch’s Citadel data center near Reno, Nevada, which claims to be the largest in the world – although some say there are even more in China.
- Larger than some of the world’s largest industrial spaces, surpassing the 4.3 million square foot Boeing factory in Everett, Washington which is often cited as the largest (although when completed, the Tesla Gigafactory in Nevada , at 15 million square feet, will be by far the largest).
- More than 10 times the size of the 69,250-seat Kinnick Stadium at the University of Iowa.
- About 1.5 million square feet more than the 94-story One World Trade Center in New York City, the tallest building in the United States at 1,776 feet.
- More than five times the size of the 45-story 801 Grand in Des Moines, the tallest building in Iowa.
- The equivalent of 115 acres. In comparison, Des Moines Lake Grays covers 96 acres (the entire park is 166 acres).
- Slightly larger than the 4.8 million square foot Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.
Following:Altoona site to be world’s largest Meta data center by 2025, company announces
- As large as 275 aircraft carrier flight decks.
- As big as 372 Olympic size pools (you knew we had to throw this one out).