More than 775 runners from 30 states have registered to run the Salina Crossroads Marathon, Half Marathon, Team Relays and 4.01K Family Fun Run Saturday in downtown Salina and race organizers expect that number to grow.
“We are thrilled to announce that Joe Moore, multiple Olympic Trials qualifier and Kansas 5K state record holder and road half marathoner, will be running the half marathon. professional and it will be a great opportunity for the community to see a racer of his caliber.We are thrilled to see how fast he runs on the flat and fast Salina Crossroads course, said co-race director Daniel Craig.
“We also have high school runners in Saline County who have just completed successful cross country seasons and signed up to compete in different events on November 5th. We want to congratulate all of our local cross country racers on an amazing season and look forward to some of them leading Salina Crossroads,” said Craig. “We’ve heard that many runners use Salina Crossroads as their first run, which we’re very excited about. And we have a runner who has completed over 400 marathons. So whether someone is new to running or an experienced runner, we hope Salina Crossroads will be a fun event that everyone can enjoy.
Here are some fun facts about the Salina Crossroads Marathon weekend:
1. The Salina Crossroads Marathon weekend will begin at 7:55 a.m. with an electric guitar version of the national anthem. The marathon, half marathon and team relays will start at 8 a.m. and the 4.01 km family race will start at 8:10 a.m.
2. The most important event is the half marathon with 316 registered runners.
3. 776 runners registered to run on Thursday morning. There are 445 runners from outside Salina, including 135 from out of Kansas State.
4. Missouri has 31 registered runners and is the state with the most registrations.
5. There are over 40 organizations providing sponsorships and support that allow all race entry fees to be provided to the Salina Family YMCA, Kansas Youth Sports, USD 305 School Marathon and Salina Area Youth Sportsmanship Initiative.
6. There will be great food including burgers by Cozy Inn after the race. Post-race vegetarian meal options will also be available.
7. The Salina Crossroads Marathon is expected to have an economic impact of approximately $380,000.
There are five events to participate in on November 5. In addition to the full marathon, there is also a half marathon, half marathon relay, marathon relay and a 4.01 km (2.5 mile) family run/walk. To learn more about the races or to register, visit runsalinacrossroads.com. Runners and walkers can register up until the morning of the race, although early registration is encouraged. All graduates receive a medal custom designed by Vortex.
When we developed the course, we worked hard to incorporate activation zones where we will have aid stations (water, Gatorade, snacks), music, and places for people to cheer on the runners. We have a map of the course showing the places along the course where it will be easier for people to be there to cheer on the runners on the salinacrossroads.com website.