Peng Shuai meets IOC leader at Winter Olympics

0

On Saturday, according to the IOC, Peng told Bach she was disappointed not to have qualified for the Summer Olympics in Tokyo last summer, but planned to travel to Europe “once the pandemic is over”. He added that Coventry and Peng would stay in touch and “all three agreed that any further communication about the content of the meeting would be at his discretion.”

Bach had said last week that the IOC would only request a formal investigation into Peng’s early sexual assault accusations if she asked them to.

In response to a question about whether the IOC had discussed a possible investigation with anyone, Adams referred reporters on Monday to an interview Peng did with L’Equipe, a French sports daily, which was published Monday. In it, Peng again claimed that the situation and his accusation had been a misunderstanding.

The hour-long interview with Peng, according to L’Equipe, was arranged by the Chinese Olympic committee on Sunday. The newspaper said he was required to submit questions to Peng in advance, and his comments in Chinese were translated by a Chinese Olympic committee official.

“A sexual assault? I never said someone sexually assaulted me,” Peng said, according to L’Equipe. “This post has caused a huge misunderstanding from the outside world,” she added. “My wish is that the meaning of this message is no longer biased.”

Peng was asked why his original post containing the sexual assault accusation was deleted from his account.

“I deleted it,” she said, adding, “Why? Because I wanted to.”

She also told the newspaper that she was retiring from tennis.

Bach was not made available for comment on Monday. The IOC said he was out of town watching competitions in alpine skiing, biathlon and ski jumping.


Source link

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.