ITTF Ranking: Indian paddler Ace Sharath Achanta Kamal has become the first Indian player to be elected to the Athletes’ Commission of the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF).
India’s star paddler got 187 votes, the second highest number, behind Elizabeta Samara of Romania, who received 2012 votes, the difference was only 8.83 percent of the votes polled in their continents – Asia and Europe – respectively.
Sharath Achanta Kamal, while speaking of an international honour, said he felt humbled and happy to know that he got the highest number of votes from Asia, ahead of other candidates from the continent.
Delighted to have been elected to the ITTF Athletes’ Commission. I look forward to honoring this responsibility with the utmost sincerity! Thank you for the messages of support and wishes 😃🙏🏽 https://t.co/ldP0O248gt
— Sharath Kamal OLY (@sharathkamal1)
November 16, 2022
ITTF Athletes’ Commission: key details
1. Eight athletes (four men and four women) were elected from Asia, Africa, the Americas, Europe and Oceania.
2. They will serve on the ITTF Athletes’ Commission for a period of four years, from 2022 to 2026.
3. Liu Shiwen, elected on the female quota, is the other Asian of the Commission, however, the Chinese obtained only 153 votes.
4. During the ballot, which took place from November 7 to 13, 283 athletes voted to elect eight candidates from the different regions.
5. The rising numbers also indicate an increase of 18%, up from 240 in 2018, as well as the growing popularity and relevance of the Commission.
ITTF Athletes’ Commission Elected Athletes
Elected athletes: Elizabeth Samara, Sharath Achanta Kamal, Daniely Rios, Omar Assar, Melissa Tapper, Stefan Fegerl, Jon Persson and Liu Shiwen.
Sharath Achanta Kamal: Indian paddle ace
1. Sharath Achanta Kamal, 40, is also the deputy chairperson of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Athletes’ Commission.
2. He is also among 10 prominent athletes who were elected a few days ago to the national Olympic body which will soon go to the polls.
3. Sharath Achanta Kamal will receive the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna award in 2022. This is the highest sporting honor in the country.
4. Sharath Achanta Kamal is the first Indian table tennis player to become a ten-time senior national champion, breaking the record of 8-time national champion Kamlesh Mehta.
The International Table Tennis Federation is the governing body of all national table tennis associations.
The role of the federation includes overseeing rules and regulations and seeking technical improvements for the sport of table tennis. The International Table Tennis Federation is also responsible for organizing various international competitions.