TAMPA, Fla., October 26, 2022 – The University of South Florida women’s soccer team will host local opponents, the Central Florida Knights, on Thursday, October 27 for the regular season finale and annual I-4 War. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. inside Corbett Stadium.
Participate in this week’s game
- The Bulls currently sit in second place in the American Conference, three points ahead of Cincinnati.
- With a win/draw and/or loss in Cincinnati, South Florida will earn the second seed in the conference tournament.
- With UCF moving to the Big XII next season, this will be the last regular season conference game with the Knights.
- South Florida is one of 15 NCAA DI schools that did not finish in a tie this season. Of those 15, nine have winning records, the Bulls being one.
- The other eight are: UCLA (15-1-0), North Carolina (14-3-0), Notre Dame (14-2-0), St. Louis (17-1-0), Fairfield (13- 3-0), Rice (10-7-0), Boston University (10-7-0) and The Citadel (9-8-0).
- Sidney Martinez (Rincon, Ga.) recorded his 27e career shutout in South Florida’s 2-0 win over Temple last Thursday.
- On Sunday, she tied a season-high six saves against Cincinnati. The other times were against Florida and Florida Atlantic.
- Rosalia Muino Gonzalez (Curuna, Spain) and Vivianne Bessette (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) led the Bulls with two shots.
And the price goes to…
South Florida has won American Athletic Conference weekly honors 12 times this season. Most recently, freshman Haizea Aretxabala Blanco picked up American Conference Rookie of the Week on Oct. 17 for scoring his first college goal. His goal was the deciding factor in the Bulls’ 2-1 victory over ECU. Seven Bulls earned honor roll spots with Sidney Martinez leading with four. Maria Bulis, Rosalia Muino Gonzalez, Georgia Brown, Daniella Chung, Serita Thurtonand Lucy Robert were named once.
Located in the flash capital of the United States, Florida averaged 223 strikes per square mile in 2021, with Tampa ranking first among cities with more than 500,000 residents by WeatherBug in 2015. Weather has targeted the Bulls this season, with each of its first three games being delayed due to weather so far this season and one game being called off earlier due to weather. In total, while the Bulls spent 19 hours and 30 minutes on the field, they also spent seven hours and 18 minutes in weather delays.
She is a keeper
Martinez argues that she is one of the top goaltenders in South Florida’s women’s soccer program. With the Bulls’ 1-0 victory over Tulsa on September 22, she became the new career shutout leader. Then, on October 6, after playing the full 90 minutes, she became the all-time leader in goalie minutes played. The fifth-year senior is currently ranked in every career goalie list that USF tracks. His investments are below:
- Goalkeeper Minutes Played: 1st; 7,004
- Goals against average: 1st; 0.835.
- Stops: 4th; 252 (3rd: 275, 1st: 318)
- Saves per game: 10th; 3.23 (9th: 3.62; 1st: 5.07)
- Savings percentage: 5th; .795 (4th: .799; 1st: .825)
- Blanched: 1st; 27
She also holds the USF single-season goals-against-average record with a 2020 total of 0.453.
National team duty
South Florida has huge experience with their respective national teams. Vivianne Bessette and Serita Thurton just finished competing for the Canadian national team at the U-20 Women’s World Cup in Costa Rica. Bessette also spent time in the Bulgarian national team system, while Emilie Lajmiri (Denmark) and Chiara Hahn (Germany) have also represented their country at different levels of competition. USF also has a strong alumni base competing internationally. At the last Olympics, Evelyne Viens (Canada) won a gold medal, while Christiane Endler (Chile), Olivia Chance (New Zealand) and Demi Stokes (Great Britain) all competed at the Games.
We match them
South Florida is one of 20 Division I football programs with at least one set of twins on the roster. Irises and Sloane Young joined the team in 2021 and are in their second year for the 2022 season. The Bulls are one of three twin pairs in the American Athletic Conference, joining the Parker sisters at Temple and the Fernandez sisters at Tulsa. Overall, there are 23 sets of twins between the 20 schools.
About USF Women’s Soccer
Be sure to follow USF Women’s Soccer on social media (Twitter / instagram / Facebook) and visit GoUSFBulls.com for the most up-to-date information.
USF women’s soccer team has ten straight 10+ seasons under head coach Denise Schilte-Brown. The Bulls made their first NCAA Tournament appearance in 2010 and returned in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. South Florida has five consecutive seasons with a conference championship, also winning the title of tournament in 2017, 2019 and 2020. as the regular season title in 2018, 2020 and 2021. The program had its first draft pick and second-highest pick in USF Athletics history, Evelyne Viens being taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2020 NWSL Draft by Sky Blue FC, now FC Gotham.